What is a Moderator?
A moderator is normally an appointed individual who has been granted or given permission by the Administrator to oversee and manage a specific area of the website or even the entire website itself. They are trusted individuals and normally will have elevated privelages within the website.
What does a Moderator do?
A Moderator will carry out all or some of the following tasks depending on their specific role on the website.
- Oversee the day-to-day running of their assigned area(s).
- Managing resources such as Forum Posts, Wiki articles, news articles in order to eliminate spam and keep the website environment clean and running professionally.
- Advising the Administrator of any problems regarding their assigned area(s)
- Liase with members or pending members regarding any queries or issues - generally lending a hand!
- Promoting and maintaining the website standards.
Some moderators are virtually invisible; they surface only when situations arise that do not seem likely to resolve themselves. Other forum moderators are always there, ready to intercede at the smallest hint of discourse. If an abusive contributor refuses to cease unacceptable behavior, the forum moderator usually has the discretion to ban the user.
Moderator ranking System
TecHKnow is evolving into a large resource for Science and Technology technicians. Therefore to maintain the standards over the entire area we have a Moderator ranking system;
- Manager - Mr. David Ferguson
- Senior Moderators - Mrs Virginia Spence (Retired), Ian Adam 'Baldilocks' , Yvonne Jones 'DampSquib', and Marian Bailey 'marianofsurbiton'.
- Group Forum Moderators - Assigned Moderators over special groups on the TecHKnow Forums
- Wikid - Mr. Seamus Smith (Temporary - we're looking for somebody to take over this responsibility)
- Physics - Mr. David Ferguson
- AQA ISA's - (For discussion between colleagues of all matters related to the AQA ISA's which include practical help and tips) K4thie
- EMPA (For the discussion and debating of all issues, practicals help or whatever to do with Externally Marked Practical Assignment.) - ANNENZYME
I have a complaint regarding a Moderator
Moderators are human beings like yourself and they have to make certain judgement calls on a variety of issues relating to the effective and smooth running of the TecHKnow website. The Administrator has provided guidelines to all moderators as to how they should perform these duties. However, if you have a complaint against a specific moderator then it is important that you foward your complaint BY EMAIL together with any supporting information to the website administrator Mr. Seamus Smith at email@example.com
Your complaint will be examined and you will be notified as soon as possible regarding its outcome.
Reward for being a Moderator
There are NO financial incentives or rewards whatsoever for being a moderator. A moderator accepts the duties in good faith in the knowledge that he or she is playing an active and importing role supporting Technician professional development